Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I’ve always been jealous of people who could paint and express themselves visually. There’s something so elegant and clever about being able to draw objects and bodies and faces. It feels like a club I’ll never be allowed into. Maybe I should try and teach myself and stop complaining. I think everyone should paint and draw, and this aim should be supported by the government by creating more opportunities for artistic activities in schools. I know there’s a lot going on at the moment in schools and communities, but not enough. Sadly, it might not be the most economically translatable skill to have, but it’s so important; regardless of what the status-quo judge “important” to be. It’s not too radical to believe that there would less social problems if more people were involved in creative and artistic activities. And I don’t think ability really matters, once you’re comfortable with what your doing and feel as if you’re improving. At the very least being able being able to paint gives you another way to articulate yourself, which is always a good thing when you live in a world that’s clogged with noise and misinformation. Self-expression is stifled by the messages we are exposed to everyday in our work places, on our streets, in our home.

But that’s neither here nor there, I don’t want to go on a anti-capitalist, anti-marketing rant.

I was really impressed last weekend when I visited my friends’ house for the first time. She always told me about a cabin she had in her back garden, but I had never seen it. It was totally different to how I had imagined it. There were a few easels standing around and paintings her family and she had painted were covering the walls. It felt like such a pleasant escape from the world, a private bubble. And everyone should have one of those I think. Not enough attention (in my opinion) is given to these forms of pursuits. Turn off your TV and pick up a paintbrush or a pencil.

No comments: